Saturday, June 24, 2006

Meme:10 Things I Miss Of Mom's Cooking

RP has tagged me with this meme and I love to take part in writing a list of the 10 items I miss of my mom's cooking, . But it’s tough to decide what I miss most because I miss almost everything she used to make and now I miss home more while writing them down!

1. Avial: Even though I try my best and my hubby likes the way I make (He is a Big Avial fan) but I can’t make the avial like her.

2. Mutton curry: My mom was a working woman (she still is) and Sundays were special for us as that day mom will get more time to cook and it will be something special than usual so was same for the non-veg it was reserved for Sundays or some special events only. She used to make that specially for me as my sis was a veggie and still when I go home Mom demand to dad the first thing to bring from market is mutton.

3. Achappam the snack: that was one of the best snack she used to make for festivals. I remeber how her all north indian friends learn that from her and she brought them mould from back home.

4. Fish curry and fish fry: She used to make special fish curry with lots of onion and garlic paste with ‘kodam puli’ . It just tastes great. In MP we used to get River fish only and cutting and cleaning of that huge fish was my dad’s duty while me and sis used to peel the onions and garlic and we just hand over the rest thing to mom. It was all fun to work together like that in kitchen.

5. Cake: Mom brought an Oven and learned to make cake just for us and she used to make just simple cake but that was the delicious and softest homemade cake I ever eat.

6. Unniyappam: Unniappam was our favorite one and she used to make it as a snack to take during long journeys like our 3 days train travel to Kerala. The thought of sipping the special “Train coffee” and eating Uniyappam with that was just great (Now I miss my vacations)

7. Gajar ka halwa : Here in Kuwait we can get carrot any time in all year but back
Home we needed to wait until winter to get that and we waited for winter just because of mom’s gajar ka halwa. Eating that with ‘garam garam roti’, Awww I l miss that.

8. Pickles: She used to make 2 kinds of mango pickles ,one that we can preserve for whole year (MP style) and one is just for week (kadumanga Kerala style), both of them tasted great. And I miss her carrot and Lime pickle too. I remember how I was craving for her pickle when I was expecting Bittu and she somehow managed to send it to me :)

9. Ada pradhaman and semiya payasam: I miss the whole ‘ona sadya” she used to prepare but miss these two things most.

10. Gulab Jamun: Now this is something priceless she used to make. And then isn’t everything priceless that moms used to make?

Thanks to RP for passing this memo to me .

and now I tagg ....

Jagu ( Jaguu... finally I got the chance to tagg you !)

KJ (I know you are so busy but please please ...I will love to litsen from u this :)

hope and love ( Doc, hope u will do this)

Update : He bhagvan yeh aajkal ke bache jara jara si baat se rooth jate hai

Kusum (Girl, abhi gussa chodo aur thoda muskurado? you can write what u goanna miss of Mom's cooking when u will be moving to the new apartment, OK? :-)

19 Comments:

Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

HHHMMMMMMPPPPFFF so i am not tagged huh :(

4:35 AM  
Blogger Bittu's Mamma said...

Kusum, I was going to tagg you then I remember that your mom is with u na? and I thought after knowing that too if I tagg u with such tag u will sure pull my leg.

OK baba gussa nahi hote. I tagged you (afterall No one messes with Kusum Rohra.)

6:34 AM  
Blogger starry said...

Nice post, all those delicious things your mother made made me hungry. My kids love achappam also, I brought a mold from india.

7:31 AM  
Blogger hope and love said...

lovely post..
il do this tag..
:))

10:14 AM  
Blogger KJ said...

Bittu's Mama: Have done the tag... :-)

10:24 PM  
Blogger Bittu's Mamma said...

Starry nights:Thanks. Even my son is a 'achappam fan' now :)

hope and love: Thanks Doc :)

KJ: WOW! That was so fast KJ, will check it now.

10:45 PM  
Blogger J N said...

:)

I am gonna do this tag. I have seen it but didnt get around to it. I will finish it today ...Inshallah.. U know with the football...Cricket & lil bit work....only a lil time is left;)... of cos u are welcome to come to Mangaf .. and i would make u better noodles then they serve at any hotels.....


Jaguuuu

www.rumbling.net

12:14 AM  
Blogger Raji said...

Just stopped to say Hi. you have a nice writing style. enjoyed your post.
Regards,
Raji

9:23 AM  
Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

:) I am moving into my new apartment today so will do this tag soon :)

And u got it right girl : No One Messes with KUSUM ROHRA :)

5:00 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

:)

So.... I have completed the Tag.. Wooohooo

6:12 AM  
Blogger Bittu's Mamma said...

Jaguu : I am sure you will be screaming goal while sleeping now a days :)Hmm am all set to eat all those yummy noodles!!

Kusum : wow that's a great news! and Kusum se naraj? kabhi nahi :)

Jaguuu : read the post....next time am goanna steal all those ari unda ur mom sends.

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi
me first timer here...

nice to read yr posts about food, about yr kids...

a gr8 mom indeed...aajkal ke supermom...

keep writing and keep smiling

11:19 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Hey ...

Guess who is back? ;) The Tag Master... and U are tagged again ;)

4:34 AM  
Blogger Aashi said...

hey thanks dear for visiting my blog and congratulating me!!

7:02 AM  
Blogger Bittu's Mamma said...

Simi : Welcome to my space dear and thanks :)yeah super kids ke liye super mom! sahi hai na?

Jaguu : okay so now two tags from tag master :)

af : hope you enjoying the new world of motherhood :)

6:17 AM  
Blogger Lost in trance... said...

just the mention of those yummy things has made me hungry!

11:56 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi

Reached you through the blogger with keyword " kerala "

Would like to know how you relate to the land.

And about me, I am involved with setting up a satellite television channel in Kerala, based on education, enterprising, and social upliftment.

Sounds big ? write to me about your povs.

I would also like to know how would you like to contribute towards the mission, if you would

cheers!

Raj


rajsivan@gmail.com

1:30 PM  
Blogger Kusum Rohra said...

Hey sweets you are tagged :D and now that its been more than a month I have moved into my apartment I will write this foodie tag soon :D

Please dearie try and do the tag on my blog,easy hai :D

3:34 AM  
Blogger Bittu's Mamma said...

Raji : Thanks, checked your blog today, and its nice too:)

Lost in trance : Welcome back! You are eating there all those yummy things made by mom, and it makes me feel jealous :)

Raj: How am related to the land?? it's mah land!!am a pure mallu:)Satellite channel Hmm that sounds big!!

Kusum: poora blog ghoomke aayi kisi kone me bhi na tag najar aaya na mera nam najar aaya!! Golmal? :)

10:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home